Cause my totem is a turtle I discovered Bandcamp very late – over one year ago :x. As I wrote at Polish posts – Bandcamp changed my music micro-world! Thank to him I was changed from „fanatic of some artists in choised styles” (f.e.: The Beatles, F. Chopin, J. Kaczmarski, W. Komendarek) to the music explorer, because he allowed me to discover a music world out of the mainstream….
I created an artist account at Bandcamp a year ago at 11 april 2022 and I released three very amateur micro albums and one mini album (together over 40 minutes of music). Before – around 30 years since I could play the piano – I released nothing to the world – I only created for myself over a dozen of short piano compositions.
Why was possible so great change? Because of Bandcamp! He motivates me! Details:
- I can leave music with finished and closed concepts. Bandcamp motivates me to make „program music” (wiki: „a type of art music that attempts to render musically an extra-musical narrative”). My concept is telling a story through music (micro-album „Parenthood’s psychedelia” and mini-album „Lousy Puberty„). I can see only a big mess on music streamers or other music aggregates
- Bandcamp is a powerful, easy and nice tool to create and promote own music.
- Sometimes I have a contact with some artists. Thank to that I know John Parker.
- Thank to a powerful „Discover” functionality of BC I can listen to many also weak artists like me and I know that I’m not alone. I have much more courage
- Many artist which music I bought inspired me and gives me some ideas and conceptions (timbres, structures, forms, moods, kinds of energy)
- I don’t have to worry about copyright and payments
BC has a lot of other positive features and relatively few disadvantages but this post is not about it… Most importantly to me is that I owe him that I experiment with creating so much